Monday, May 25, 2009

Tis the season

Fava season is fleeting here in northern California. The pods appear one weekend at the farmers markets late in April and then suddenly vanish in May. There's a period of about three weeks when a number of farmers have great mounds of the pods on their tables. The next week one or two farmers have them and then they are gone. I always start thinking about favas right before they disappear. Some years I miss out on them altogether because I simply didn't have them in my consciousness in time. I'll see them and think, "oh yeah, fava season, I should do something with those, maybe next week," and next week they are not to be found. This year I caught myself in time.

To make the bruschetta, shell the favas, then steam for three minutes to remove the hull (not necessary if beans are small). The favas should be al dente, steam longer if necessary, then mash with zest of a lemon, lemon juice, one clove of garlic, cotija cheese (or ricotta salata), olive oil, and sea salt to taste. Grill baguette slices sprinkled with olive oil. Rub a cut clove of garlic on the grilled slices, then top with fava mash. Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

If you have any questions you would like me to answer, please e-mail me. Otherwise, please check back on the post where you commented for any updates.